This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

New Release Discussion Yes/No/How/When?

Apr 21, 2011 at 5:53 AM

Just putting this question forward & I'll put down a few points & then we can discuss pros/cons.....

We have added a few extra features to MC since the last release of 3.4.0.0 like XBMC scrapers plus bug fixes. In order to get feedback on those changes I think we need to make a release so that people can test, evaluate & provide us with feedback.

I'm thinking of a weekly release if there has been any changes to the source code, perhaps Friday night my time +10hrs GMT so its available for people over the weekend to play with....

Does anyone have thoughts on if we have a stable release like 3.4.0.0 & a weekly release working towards a stable release at a set time frame like XBMC OR do we bite the bullet with 3.4.0.0 & just move forward basically the way Billy was releasing?

Thanks to all who have contributed, looking forward to your comments.

Richard

Apr 21, 2011 at 9:19 AM
Edited Apr 21, 2011 at 9:20 AM

My thoughts are to merge current changes to a beta release, then do a bug blitz based on feedback from that point. I think the changes that have been contributed since 3.4.0.0 have been in the right direction, and users will be glad to see some progress.

From what I have observed, you have been very active in this project and vested in it enough to see things happen, and are obviously the right man for the job to coordinate it! I'm more than willing to help out where I can.

Apr 22, 2011 at 3:08 AM

I'd vote for something like XBMC.  Keep the stable version available for download.   Set a goal for a future stable release and provide weekly beta builds until that's achieved.  Once you achieve the new stable version, start all over.  That way those who want to try out the beta can do so and provide feedback.  Those who would just use a "stable" program can do so too.

From the user side I appreciate you guys continuing to work on this.

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:29 AM

Can someone suggest another program to use as MC is not usable now?

Apr 22, 2011 at 4:44 AM

It's usable... just a bit tempermental and in need of some streamlining.

Apr 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM

I would love to see some sort of release. This way people will know the project is still alive.

Apr 26, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Beta build when ever a maker is done, and a finaly release when it have been in test for a while.

Apr 28, 2011 at 11:19 AM

Thanks everyone for the input. I will work towards a release version in the next few weeks from the main trunk & then towards a weekly update. As I have said before we need plenty of people to provide feedback & to retest all of the old & new features so I see this as the way to move forward.

Cheers

Richard

Apr 30, 2011 at 10:24 AM
Edited Apr 30, 2011 at 10:25 AM

Feedback i doubt would be an issue as this program has many followers.

Would like to see this application remain as portable, but would suggest a online version check at startup.

May 4, 2011 at 5:20 PM

Ready 4 feedback... over...

May 6, 2011 at 12:16 PM

I had been checking in on occassion wondering if there was every going to be a new release... glad to see this thread and very much looking forward to testing betas and providing feedback to keep this project alive.

May 6, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Thanks to all for the continuing support!

Free time has been an issue for me in recent weeks, but I think its important to continue to communicate even if its not a release as yet... I will be able to put some more time into this project this weekend working towards a release.

Cheers

Richard

May 6, 2011 at 1:13 PM

I Joined up here as, although not knowledgeable in writing this kind of stuff, I did like Media Companion and am happy to help beta test any new versions that are developed

May 8, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Ok just an update, yesterday I downloaded installed tortoisehg. Today, I have learn't enough to make new commits to the source code & I fixed a couple of things on the way......

I have resolved the issue I was getting with compile errors on the Release Compile, so I think we are very close to making a beta release from the default tip of the source soon.

Cheers

May 9, 2011 at 7:52 PM

@StormyKnight,

Thank you for taking the bull by the horns here and releasing (hopefully in the near future) a new beta release.

And thank you to ALL the developers for contributing to this project.

May 10, 2011 at 12:57 AM

No worries khaoohs, we are looking good for a release on Friday 14/5/11. I'm just making sure that the basics at least are working as intended and I need to compile a list of the new features & known issues so that we are all informed as to where we are up to.

Cheers

May 11, 2011 at 12:15 AM

Just an update, still looking OK for a Friday release....

Recently I got a new larger screen for my computer & of course the default resolution of windows XP being 96dpi, I couldn't read anything as the fonts where so small. I was aware of the issue with MC on higher dpi's & because I'm now developing on a machine with the dpi set @ 120,  in the last few days I have been adjusting the layout so that it will suit both 120dpi & 96dpi. I have been playing with the AutoScaleMode set to dpi, which should make MC compatible with all dpi's, however the main movie page with its multiple splitters doesn't seem to behave for me. At any rate, Fridays release will work on both 120dpi & 96 dpi by giving more space to text until we can sort the dpi issue correctly.

Scraping new Movies has been tested & is working as expected. Next I will confirm TV Shows are working as expected. I will also be testing the XBMC scrapers.

Cheers