This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Can't add TV Shows

May 2, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I have been using MC for a while but I recently decided to start fresh with all my metadata and the new 3.5.0.0 version.  I am having a problem with adding TV Shows.  When I click "Check Roots for New TV Shows" I get a dialog that says "Changes Saved" and then I see a "Refresh TV Shows" dialog quickly scan through all my TV show folders but then I get nothing.  TV Show Count is 0 and the text area for show listings remains blank.

I am using the proper folder hierarchy of TV_Root\ShowName\Season\episode.mkv.  I have added my TV_Root folder to the List of Root Folders in the Folders configuration which has also populated the List of Separate Folders with all my ShowName folders.

Is anyone else having the problem or can anyone help me?  Please tell me what further information I can provide.

May 2, 2012 at 11:40 PM

Have a look at issues #440 and #441; it is possibly related to that? Recently, all show searches need to match TheTVDb title exactly - I'm not sure why.

Also, if you've deleted all .nfo files, have you run Refresh All TV Shows from the TV menu?

I'm looking into this at the moment because it seems to be affecting a few of us.

Further info could include specific show names?

May 2, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Yes, I figured out that it was because I had years in my show folder names like "Showname (2012)".  But even besides that, I still couldn't get it to scrape the shows until I removed all my my folders from the config (root and specific folders), saved and then readded my root folder.

Of course this does work when a show is actually listed in tvdb with a year like Battlestar Galactica (2003) because there are multiple shows with the same name.  It would be nice if the scraper was intelligent enough to match the show when the year is included under all circumstances.

May 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I made changes for v3.501b that may help out with this. If it doesn't recognise a show, it no longer just does nothing, it will show up in the tree!

When looking at the code, it looked like it processed the year specifically but then MC can't know when a year is required or not; that's left up to TheTVDb API.

May 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM

What about dismissing the year if in brackets? when trying to select season number and episode number out of filename?

May 8, 2012 at 12:28 AM

A recent user of MC had an issue with MC not returning the correct season & episode information from the show they where trying to use. That show was named 3x3 Eyes

Now the issue here is that the 3x3 is also one of the methods to name the season & episodes of a particular Tv show. An example of the full path of one of these shows would be something like this....

C:\Video\TV Shows\3x3 Eyes\1x01 - Transmigration.avi

The issue is is that because the regex looks left-to-right it finds a match with 3x3 & so returns with Season 3 & Episode 3. If the Season & episode had been writen like this....

C:\Video\TV Shows\3x3 Eyes\S01E01 - Transmigration.avi

it would have been fine, since in MC the regex test for the S??E?? format which is tested before the ??x?? method & once the first match is found MC moves onto the next video file.

MC has 3 regex test built in, S??E??, ??x?? & ????. The last is just simply defining say Season 1 Episode 1 as 0101. This is left to last in MC since any video path containg a 4 digit year will trigger the regex. 

So if you had.....

C:\Backup 2009\Video\TV Shows\Two & A Half Men\0403.avi

the regex would return the season as 20 & the Episode number as 09.

Is there a better way?
Well the 3x3 show bugged me a bit, I had a few solutions that I really wasn't happy with before I came across a better one.....
What I wanted was to return the last match, not the first......that way it will still work if there is only one match, but the filename component takes priority over the rest of the path of the video file - as you would want.

The basis of the next regex is from this web site....

http://frightanic.wordpress.com/2007/06/08/regex-match-last-occurrence/

the regex example they give is quite simple.....

foo(?!.*foo)

In this case it returns the last foo in a text string.

So for our regex's we just need to replace both foo's with our current regex's, so the new regex's become.

[Ss]([\d]{1,2}).?[Ee]([\d]{1,2})(?!.*[Ss]([\d]{1,2}).?[Ee]([\d]{1,2}))
([\d]{1,2}) ?[xX] ?([\d]{1,2})(?!.*([\d]{1,2}) ?[xX] ?([\d]{1,2}))
([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9])(?!.*([0-9]+)([0-9][0-9]))

I've tested each of these with my test path below succesfully in MC....

C:\2009\21x4 Eyes\S01E01\S07E02 7x3 704.avi

all regex's return the season 7 & relavent episode number.

Perhaps this is a better long term solution?

Cheers

May 8, 2012 at 1:35 AM

Regex seems to be the hot topic at the moment!

In another post, I added a link to the MSDN Regex 'Cheat Sheet', which is a great reference, esp. for .NET.