This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

DVD special Features

Aug 8, 2012 at 5:53 AM

I Love dvd special features. But how do I use nfos in relation to the dozen extra videos a movie may come with. When I rip a dvd I have the main title as "00 Movie name.mp4" and the special features as "01 making of" "02 deleted scenes" etc.

But the scraper is trying to associate each of the features to an unrelated movie. Is there any way to tell the scraper to ignore these or simply create a batch nfo file that lists all of the extras. Maybe tag them as ancillary to the main title?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but searching for special feature nfo yielded nothing. I really don't want to create a new separate nfo for EVERY little video.

Thanks in advance

Coordinator
Aug 8, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Currently there is no support for DVD specials.

I don't believe there is functionality in XBMC to support extra's relating to a Movie, unless you create them in a collection.

As the extra's are not listed on TheMovieDB or IMDB, Media Companion would not be able to scrape their information.

A separate nfo creator would be required, and manually adding the info is the only way to populate the nfo.

A Manual nfo entry has been requested before, but implementing this is a extra feature and not sure when this would be done.

Aug 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Thank you for the response.
I still need to manually create basic title-only nfos so the scraper will ignore them. Now im looking for a generator that can create them en-masse for the 70+ lotr appendices videos I have.

Aug 8, 2012 at 9:57 PM

LOL I just did this (sort of) coincidentally timed enough as I decided I wanted to put my Home/Family videos in the Media Library and get some more organized data for the home videos....So I had to create a script to create the NFOs to match the filenames and prepopulate them as much as possible and use MC to update what is possible from the GUI and vet as possible.  I opted to put my home vids as a TV show though.

TV shows use the 'specials' season00, but I've never seen anything like that for movies. Would agree would be nice though. 

Aug 11, 2012 at 4:11 AM

That's great. any way I can get that script from you?

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2012 at 12:41 AM

@facethewolf: There are two different features being asked for here, I think. Do you want .nfo files for your specials clips? Or do you just want MC to ignore them? It seems that transcender wants to add .nfo information to clips that aren't web-catalogued.

If you don't want nfo's, then you can trick MC into ignoring them by appending "-trailer.flv". I think the extension can be changed as it merely represents the container (vbat99 might be able to back me up on that).

I have several ideas, so I would be interested in some feedback:

• The "-trailer.flv" tag is quite limited, and users are starting to use different extensions. The three parts to it ("-", "trailer", and ".flv") ensure that this is not confused with an actual movie title, but I'm thinking that as long as the dash and "trailer" are used correctly, we can extend this to include other extensions. I'm not sure what XBMC does at the moment.
  • We could possibly extend the trailers idea for your situation by including a tag such as "-ignore" to indicate to MC that this gets skipped as a media file like trailers do. I wouldn't want to specifically target keywords like "making of", "deleted scenes", etc. as it would be a maintenance nightmare!
  • Are there any other special-function tags that users might like to see included?
  • I have considered using tt0000000 as an IMDb number to represent a non-catalogued movie that will still produce an .nfo file. I have checked IMDb, and that ID is not used but I vaguely recall this ID being discussed here before and why it wasn't a good idea. May or may not be relevant now.

As I said, I would be interested in what others have to say, and would love to get some others ideas/solutions!

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Making the DVD extra's a -trailer file, won't work if there are a lot of extra's, ie interview, outtakes, deleted scenes.

To watch the trailer is hitting info, then watch trailer.  But, if there's more that one extra for a DVD, it won't work.  Plus until you hit Info for a movie, you won't know if there are any extra's.

Only solution is to manually create nfo's for each DVD extra, and then create a Movieset, and have the Main Movie and DVD extra's under the movie set.

This would be very cumbersome.  Two other options would be using Divx, as Divx does allow menu's and multi files.  Or , DVD Shrink the whole DVD into a ISO.  This will keep the Movie and extra's in DVD structure, with full menu option.  Then you can scrape the iso in MC.

I know that's not economical for space saving, but there really isn't much around to sort this dilema out.

Aug 19, 2012 at 4:52 AM

Thanks for the replies. I am very flexible in what I am looking for.

I can tell you that .iso is not an option for me. One of the best parts about ripping individual video files is the ability to delete the FBI warning, the previews, Menu bumper videos, and stupid special features. And Finally...Not having to sit through menu animations.

What I have been doing is labeling my vids "Jurassic Park 3-06 building the dinosaurs.mp4".  I don't mind the info of the movie being applied to the special feature. but it only works half the time. My idea is to, in the title box, put a character at the beginning that causes it to be sorted at the end of titles...maybe zz

I suppose ideally a tag of -special or -ignore would apply to all special features that could be ignored by the scraper, or have the scraper generate a blank nfo. That would be awesome.

Alternatively can the scraper ignore everything after a special character when searching for the title? Jurassic Park III~06 building the dinosaurs.mp4 "~" or "{"

Thank you I hope that helps