This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

XBMC link what's it's purpose?

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:54 PM
Maybe this is a silly question but what's the purpose? Why do I need this? I've looked at the docs and questions asked but am still at a loss to this. Example of my setup and you tell me if I need it. I have 3 folders: scraping folder, movies, and movie sets. I get a movie and put it in the scraping folder, scrape, rename the movie folder to "movie name (year) (resolution)". Move it either to movies or the set in movie sets folder and then update library in XBMC. Done, never do any more to them.

So does the link function do me any good? The only link I can think of that I would want is when the tv version comes out it gets the new artwork for a new season when it is available.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.
Aug 7, 2013 at 12:15 AM
No, your absolutely right, for your usage. And I do the same.

I have a Temp folder for new movies to be placed into, scrape them, tweak any artwork, then move then into my main Movie folder, and XBMC is set to update library when I wake the Media PC.

But, for some, and I think there are a few, Media Companion is a Library manager, containing all their movies. In this instance, being able to change artwork in MC, and it being instantly available in XBMC, is an excellent function, and a lot of hard work has gone into getting this to work (still in tests right now).

For now, Movies synchronizing is being sorted. And then TV will be looked into.

Hopefully we can have to selectable, ie: XBMC Link for Movies, and XBMC Link for TV.

I hope that helps in some way

Rob
Aug 7, 2013 at 1:19 AM
Excellent reply and it tells me what I needed to know. I think it is a good function because like you said not all setups are identical. I do believe you are right that some use it as a manager and are more interested in extra fanarts, etc that they like to stay on top of.

I think I'll be interested in the TV side when it comes into play. Since TV shows are constantly updating, especially new ones that may not have all the art when the first episode hits.

Good enough then, have a good one.