XML metadata

May 1, 2015 at 3:43 PM
I recently purchased a WD TV media player. From what I have read it does not read NFO files like XBMC. I have looked through the setting but cannot find if or how MC can download the movie info in xml format. Is it possible?
Coordinator
May 1, 2015 at 7:28 PM
Hi

Though Media Companion is not set up for WD TV, the nfo created is an XML file, but with NFO instead of XML extension.
Currently we are not looking to support the WDTV device in Media Companion, but you could try and rename the file
<moviename>.nfo to <moviename>.xml, and see if your WDTV reads the xml data for the renamed file.
May 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM
Thank you so much. That helps
May 4, 2015 at 8:00 PM
I haven't used a WDTV in a year or so, but when I did I would use MC to do my inital setup, then run Thumbgen to generate the Movie Sheets, and then use this batch script below to rename all the media to something more like what the WDTV wanted. Sounds like a lot, but it really only took a couple minutes.

I think the renaming of the dvdid.xml and adding it into the ISO was more for Windows Media Player Support, but I can't remember. I had that batch file in a directory that had a subfolder for each movie. It will recursively go over all the subfolders and do the actions for each movie. The batch uses 7Zip to embed the xml in the ISO so if you don't have 7ZIP or don't want to embed it then you can remove that line.

I don't remember exactly what the differences were between the xml and nfo format, but there are some tags that the WDTV won't be able to read just by renaming the file. I'm sure if you scan the WDTV forums you can find that.

In my opinion the perfect cheap media solution is an Amazon FireTV running KODI. I have a shared database setup so the FireTV doesn't have to do any scanning, it just reads from the database. I think I got it for $69 on sale, and I now have the same interface I use on my two PC's.

And of course the mandatory warning. If you try to use the script below, make sure you test it out in a separate directory and understand what it's doing.
And the disclaimer that I probably got all or some of that script from some other website, so I'm not claiming it's mine.
echo on
:create list of all titles
dir /A:D /B /O:N > listtmp.txt
:add ; to end of name
set addtext=;
if exist tmpfile.txt del /q tmpfile.txt
if exist file_list.txt del /q file_list.txt
for /f "delims=" %%l in (listtmp.txt) Do (
     echo %%l%addtext% >> file_list.txt
)
del /q listtmp.txt
path=c:\program files\7-Zip