This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

store AND KEEP offline movies and series in db

Jun 3, 2015 at 9:08 PM
Edited Jun 3, 2015 at 9:09 PM
Hi there,

first of all, completely overwhelming work to create and develop Media companion further!

Thank you so much!

One thing that would make me completely happy is, however, still missing: for me media compannion is almost perfect but to replace any other media DB for me, I would love the option to keep offline movies and tv-series permanetly within the DB, despite of rescrapes, when for example an USB-Drive is not connected. What I have in mind is defining specific folders which can be excluded completely from changes or rescrapes once they are read in the db. The current offline movies option has a different duty, right?

THX in advance!
Coordinator
Jun 3, 2015 at 11:01 PM
Hi and Thanks for using Media Companion

Your request to have offline database has been requested before, and I did attempt to add this feature, but, in the end the logistics of molding MC to support an offline database became a battle I couldn't win.

To start with, MC relies on artwork being with the media. This means that MC does not cache artwork (except when downloading during scraping), nor the nfo information. And attempting to rely on the file's location caused no end of problems when doing a Refresh.

I'm not saying it won't happen, and reality it may be best as a Stand-Alone application, but for now it's not on my radar to add this functionality.

In regards to MC's current offline option, this was designed with something like you needs, but more for people who have DVD's.

Another option is Media Stub files. But you'll have to manually add each movie as a Stub file, but when you play it, you can have a custom message. ie: Insert USB3 Flash Drive.

Alternatively, you could scrape all your media, Copy everything scraped except for the video file, and create a Stub file to replace the media file. Not sure how you'd go about that.
Marked as answer by vbat99 on 10/16/2015 at 12:06 PM
Jun 4, 2015 at 9:57 PM
I see your point, Thanks for the explination.

It's just that mc works SO well and so much better than any other software I tried. I just hoped to make use of the work that I did with the "online"-DB including saving all media information, artwork etc. and use it for the offline media as well. Not to really have access via Kodi but basically to know which series and episodes for example are available. Maybe i try the stubs,,,

Thanks for all your work, it's really appreciated!!!!