This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Display run time from file question.

Sep 11, 2015 at 3:32 AM
Edited Sep 11, 2015 at 3:32 AM
I have this option checked in preferences assuming the run time from the file itself, and not the run time listed on IMDB, will be scraped. However, the run time listed on IMDB is scraped instead. Is this a bug or is there a different setting I am missing?
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2015 at 4:26 AM
Not a bug, but a feature.
Media Runtime is scraped from the video file and is stored in the nfo under the streamdetails, as Duration In Seconds.

Movie Runtime is scraped from IMDB (or TMDb) and stored in the nfo under Runtime.

In Media Companion, you can choose to display Media Runtime, or Movie Runtime, in the browser tab. Movie Preferences -> General Tab. Display Runtime from: scraper or File
Left clicking on the title Runtime will toggle the display from one to the other.
In a white textbox is Movie Runtime, in a Grey-out box is media Runtime.

Quick check in Kodi, and Kodi shows the Media Runtime when you look at the Movie's Info.
Sep 11, 2015 at 5:00 AM
I have 'File' ticked, thinking it would scrape the actual running length from the file (and not from IMDB). I thought Kodi displayed the length of the movie from <runtime> min</runtime> in the nfo file. You're saying it actually displays the length from <durationinseconds></durationinseconds>?? Half of the time IMDB's running time is incorrect & I end up changing that section of the nfo file (<runtime> min</runtime>) manually because of that.
Coordinator
Sep 11, 2015 at 6:46 AM
Well, I tested with movie Minions.
IMDB (or TMDB), not sure, stated 91 minutes.
Duration worked out to 86 minutes.
Kodi scraped my nfo, and Info shows 86 minutes.

So the choice in Media Companion is display either runtime or duration in seconds (converted to minutes). It's just a visual thing in MC.

Just did a quick test of Kodi.
exported the library and checked the file. Runtime exported as 86 minutes.
duration in seconds is 5179 = 86 minutes.

Yet, the minions nfo says
runtime as 91 min
DurationinSeconds is 5179 = 86min.

Seems Kodi wants the actual mediafiles runtime so it is exact.
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:33 AM
Kodi ignores duratioinseconds and scrapes the movie length from runtime (in the nfo file created by MC). Runtime is scraped from IMDB 'Technical Specs' which, like I said, is incorrect most of the time. Basically, all I am really asking is if it is possible to scrape the length of a movie from the file itself (and have it copied to runtime, so Kodi scrapes it) and completely ignore IMDB? Thanks again (sorry if I am getting annoying!)
Coordinator
Sep 13, 2015 at 5:41 AM
Well, yes, I can set an option to save durationsinseconds to Runtime (as Minutes).
But I have to ask, is this tested in Kodi? or from Wiki?
If tested in Kodi, which version. If from Wiki, please paste link.

My results above are from tests with Kodi 15.1, where it definitely got the runtime from DurationInSeconds, as the nfo had 96minutes in the runtime field.

I'm interested so I am getting the same results as users. And no, your not getting annoying.

I'll see about adding the option for the next release.
Sep 14, 2015 at 5:48 AM
It is tested in Kodi. Right now I am using version 14.0 but every version I have ever used Kodi has displayed the video files length from runtime in the nfo file. I guess maybe it was changed in the later versions. Thanks for all your assistance.
Coordinator
Sep 14, 2015 at 6:04 AM
No worries. New option is in place for the next release.
Marked as answer by vbat99 on 10/16/2015 at 11:40 AM