Local .actor thumbs

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:36 PM
MC is scraping actors to the local movie folder in .actors. Enable Save Actor Thumbs is disabled. However, the .nfo still has the URL for the actor thumb location.

I've rescraped actors, rebuilt .nfo's.

My target KODI player is RPi-2 with no internet connection.

Is this as designed, or, am I missing something?
Coordinator
Sep 16, 2015 at 5:58 PM
Yes its by design.

Kodi looks for actor images first in a local .actors folder, then if not present, searches via the thumb url for the actor from the nfo.

I've a Pi2 also, and scrape my actors to the .actors folder.

But i know some that use a common actors folder which means less duplicates of actor images.

Look at Movie Preferences -> Advanced tab.

BTW, if the pi2 has no Internet access, Kodi will skip searching the url address.
Marked as answer by jockbond on 9/17/2015 at 10:10 PM
Sep 17, 2015 at 12:13 AM
Thanks for taking the time to answer in a helpful way what I should have known.

I was using a common Actors folder and you had made some updates to MC for me a few months ago but it became inefficient. I ended up with a common Actors folder of 28,000+ images. If I wanted to build an RPi with just a few select movies, I had to copy all these images which took forever as the number of files slowed down the copy process with all the drive accesses. Compressing the folder, copying it, decompressing on the target RPi sped things up a bit. End result I guess is that a common Actors folder is not efficient for building media players with a subset of the main library unless on a shared network.
Coordinator
Sep 17, 2015 at 8:58 AM
I suppose I could add an option to not save url path to actor's Thumb.

And I know what you mean. Unless you had then in .actors folder, loading only some movies would be a nuisance as Kodi looks through all the actors image files to get the right actor image.

It really is a catch.

Oh, a thought. In Kodi, Settings, Video, Library, unselect Download Actor thumbnails. That definitely help in scraping in movies.
May 21 at 6:51 PM
HI, and a very big thanks for a over the top, feature filled scraper program.

IS it possible to get media companion, to only scrape actors images,
that is missing som actors/images , in the .actor folder (or missing an .actor folder).

As it is now, i think the "batch Update Wizard" -> "other" -> "rescape Actors
will rescrape all , including movies witch have actors images allready, which is a nice feature,
if you need to refresh.

Guess the Right click with the mouse and choose "rescraping specific -> actors" under Movies -> main Browser
is doing the same.

under Movies -> Table , i can get it to show a column that is called "missing" which as an example would show : Local actors, trailer , poster.

Would be nice with an option under that window to have same options as in main browser + the option all ready under "table" with right click,
then one could sort columns , and choose several movies, that are missing some art/info, and scrape specific the movies and specific the art missing.

Or maybe an option in the batch update wizard, to also only run it on the chosen files

Or am I missing the option somewhere else
Coordinator
May 22 at 7:29 AM
muggi wrote:
HI, and a very big thanks for a over the top, feature filled scraper program.

IS it possible to get media companion, to only scrape actors images,
that is missing some actors/images , in the .actor folder (or missing an .actor folder).

As it is now, i think the "batch Update Wizard" -> "other" -> "rescape Actors
will rescrape all , including movies witch have actors images allready, which is a nice feature,
if you need to refresh.
Slight change in code, and MC will check if there is already an actors image present, and not download it again.
Unless, the user has allowed to Overwrite artwork, then the actors image will be downloaded.
Guess the Right click with the mouse and choose "rescraping specific -> actors" under Movies -> main Browser
is doing the same.

under Movies -> Table , i can get it to show a column that is called "missing" which as an example would show : Local actors, trailer , poster.

Would be nice with an option under that window to have same options as in main browser + the option all ready under "table" with right click,
then one could sort columns , and choose several movies, that are missing some art/info, and scrape specific the movies and specific the art missing.

Or maybe an option in the batch update wizard, to also only run it on the chosen files

Or am I missing the option somewhere else
Seems the General Filter is the one you want.
You can filter movies that are Missing Posters, Missing Fanart etc, then batch rescrape those movies to get the missing items.

As for the Actor Images, this fix will be in the next release of Media Companion. I also noted, that checking if the image is present, saves downloading the image to MC's cache folder, speeding up MC a bit.

Thanks for bringing this it my attention.
May 22 at 2:04 PM
Wow, what a nice feature the general tab, did not know its was there. Keeps amazing me this program.. thanks for the fast reply