looking for delete files/folders option

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:00 AM
Greetings again from me to you.
I wonder is there such an option?
Am I missing it?
Should it be there in the right-click menu?
All I can do is to remove movie from MC, but not from HDD.
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2016 at 7:28 AM
There is no Delete Media option in Media Companion.
This is far too dangerous and makes us liable if the user accidentally deletes their files.

There is an option to delete the nfo and artwork from selected movie(s), but definitely not to delete the movie video file or any folders.
Aug 21, 2016 at 5:04 AM
I hate to say it but I've wanted this option for a long time. When dealing with duplicates this would be great.

I'm in the process now of replacing older movies with better quality/audio and converting to HEVC. Being able to check duplicates and deleting them even in a two step check process of some sort would really speed this up. As is the workflow is:

Obviously have the duplicates filter selected.
  1. Check to see which one you want to keep and which to remove.
  2. Right click on movie to open file location
  3. Move to windows explorer
  4. In the title bar click the parent folder (movie folder will then be highlighted)
  5. Take hand off mouse and hit delete key or move mouse to movie folder and right click and delete
  6. Close file explorer
Repeat

If a delete option is implemented can the movie be removed from the list immediately without the need for a refresh?

And while I'm thinking about it is there any way to have a movie white listed, (xml or txt) that will not show certain duplicates? Say for example I have Star Wars and a Star Wars Theatrical version, any way to set them not to show every time?

Any way just my two cents.
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2016 at 10:08 AM
While I appreciate the thoughts and intentions of having an option to delete movies or video files, I for one do not want to be liable for a user deleting one or many movies that they didn't actually want deleted.

It can, and will happen, and then we, the dev's and Media Companion get slammed for trashing someone's movie/tv collection.

It is not an option I will be adding to Media Companion.

Regarding your question
If a delete option is implemented can the movie be removed from the list immediately without the need for a refresh?
Yes.
Right click the movie in the browser window and select
Remove selected movies(s) from list
Then delete the movie from Windows Explorer.
White list, interesting idea. Currently the check is for more than one movie having the same IMDb ID number. It may be possible to discount duplicate IMDB Id numbers, of the title is checked for matches against the Separate Movie Identifier List.

Phil's about to do some work on MC, I'll ask if the above is possible. He is sure to know a nice way of checking this in the duplicate filter..
Aug 21, 2016 at 1:58 PM
The white list is already made up in the movie preferences advanced tab under separate movie identifier. Just throw that in as the last check after the IMDb ID has been confirmed as a duplicate. If one of the movies has the identifier throw out the whole lot as not duplicate. Actually it's a little more complicated than that, might need a few more if/then statements. Example with my naming

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) [1080p] [h264]
Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope Silver-Screen-Edition (1977) [1080p] [hevc]
Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope Theatrical-Version (1977) [480p] [h264]

Since I have Theatrical-Version and Silver-Screen-Edition in my list this would be ok. But if I re-encoded

to

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) [1080p] [hevc]

then my list would be

Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope (1977) [1080p] [hevc]
Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope Silver-Screen-Edition (1977) [1080p] [hevc]
Star Wars - Episode IV - A New Hope Theatrical-Version (1977) [480p] [h264]

Which does have a duplicate. Anyway something to pass along.

Thanks for reading, it got long.