This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Rescraping Movies with Preview before rename

Nov 6, 2016 at 8:49 AM
Edited Nov 6, 2016 at 9:12 AM
After the set fix in 3.666 I have decided to re-scrape all my collections.
I deleted just the nfo files and removed and re-added my movie folder.
I set it not to re-scrape the images since they already existed.

It re-scraped the images and also incorrectly scraped a lot of my films.
A vast majority was scraped as back to the future.
I didn't notice it at first so after i scraped all i sadly did a rename file and folder action.
It popped up with an error and then i found this issue.
I have to manually open every file now, try figure out the name and manually rename before i scrape again.

I will attach my settings and example.
You will notice the old clearart and disc file is not rename\removed and is the correct one vs the new scraped images.

I have had this issue before but only on sample files. This is not unique to 3.666
This was over 200 films... Luckily this incorrect scrape is random so its not everything but its a large number that is affected.
It's because of this I requested a rename preview table long time ago that shows "Movie name, old filename, new filename" before final rename.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8hu6yz3059gg2z1/AABpaFnTeNeFkwXUygCKdPq0a?dl=0

Oh and in this setup i used" Movie Preferences > Individual Movie Folder Options > All Movies are in Folders" because i found with my dummy test file that using "Use Folder Names for Scraping" that Terminator 1.avi and Terminator 2.avi both scraped and renamed as The Terminator 2 Judgement day which is an issue itself.
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2016 at 11:52 PM
Rescraping one movie, I might let it do a auto-rename. But I tend to do select the renaming manually once I've confirmed the movies are correct.

But many movies, sorry, no. I've been stung by that as well. And had to play each video file to identify what the movie actually was.
Why it comes back as Back to the future is if IMDb can not correctly identify the movie, then it IMDb throws up a Sorry page, and lists some movies you may like. Back to the future is usually the first one.
So MC thinks Back to the future must be the search result's answer.

As for your terminator movies. Put the year in the filename or foldername...or both (depending of your preference), and this will improve matching of movies, and not making MC think they are a Part 1 and Part 2 of the same movie.

I recently had to do rescrape of some movies for a friend, Did them in batches of 20 movies.
Then checked each was correct movie, all meta-data was present, and artwork. Then we renamed files and folders.
Finally, moved them back into the main Root Movie folder.

This is definitely safer.

Thought I do wonder why you decided to rescrape all your collection movies? Is this because of the new coding for Collections in Media Companion?
I am working on getting the Batch Rescraper to operate correctly, but as another user pointed out, there is still some issues on the Batch rescrape wizard that misses some collection.

My job is never done....LOL
Feb 5 at 9:11 AM
Edited Feb 6 at 6:48 PM
Just some feedback, I still get it to often where movies will miss scrape but then here is a funny one.
As example I scraped Swiss.Army.Man.2016.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4 and it scraped as Kill Bill and I tried using both (fresh MC scrapes) "Use Folder name for scraping" and "All Movies are in Folders" however as soon as i click on "Change Movie" it takes me straight to "Displaying 9 results for "Swiss Army Man"" on imdb and "Swiss Army Man (2016) " is at the top of the list. Something must be wrong in MC code ? This happens for many of my movies especially ones where full stops are used as space filler.
Ps. Today's 5 m.o.v.i.e.s all came up as Kill Bill Vol1 (I call it movie scrape of the day :-) it feels like spam advertising LoL
Still using MC3.6.6.8, have not tried newest yet

Edit: If I rename "Swiss.Army.Man.2016.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4" to "Swiss Army Man 2016 1080p BluRay H264 AAC.mp4" then it scraped from imdb with no problem...
Feb 5 at 5:46 PM
ingeon wrote:
Just some feedback, I still get it to often where movies will miss scrape but then here is a funny one.
As example I scraped Swiss.Army.Man.2016.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC and it scraped as Kill Bill and I tried using both (fresh MC scrapes) "Use Folder name for scraping" and "All Movies are in Folders" however as soon as i click on "Change Movie" it takes me straight to "Displaying 9 results for "Swiss Army Man"" on imdb and "Swiss Army Man (2016) " is at the top of the list. Something must be wrong in MC code ? This happens for many of my movies especially ones where full stops are used as space filler.
Ps. Today's 5 m.o.v.i.e.s all came up as Kill Bill Vol1 (I call it movie scrape of the day :-) it feels like spam advertising LoL
Still using MC3.6.6.8, have not tried newest yet
I came here because I have the same issue. I'm in the process of re-scraping some movies and half of them came up as Kill Bill. I just loaded the latest version of MC and so far after scraping 4 movies no issues. But that's a small sample size. Maybe there was an issue with IMDB this morning?
Coordinator
Feb 5 at 6:21 PM
This is not a MC issue, but it occurs because IMDb has a web request limit, causing a default page to appear, with it seems Kill Bill as the first movie you may like.

I will do some more research into this, but scraping by IMDB is getting worse and worse.
I believe this is why Kodi no longer has IMDb as a scraper, and TMDb is the main options with some data from IMDb.

Is there a specific reason you are not using the TMDb scraper in Media Companion?
We have added so many options for specific data from IMDb, but if there is something missing please let us know.
Feb 5 at 6:27 PM
vbat99 wrote:
Is there a specific reason you are not using the TMDb scraper in Media Companion?
No reason. I guess it's because I'm familiar with it. But I'll switch to TMDb if it works better.
Feb 7 at 5:52 PM
Edited Feb 7 at 6:01 PM
vbat99 wrote:
This is not a MC issue, but it occurs because IMDb has a web request limit, causing a default page to appear, with it seems Kill Bill as the first movie you may like.

I will do some more research into this, but scraping by IMDB is getting worse and worse.
I believe this is why Kodi no longer has IMDb as a scraper, and TMDb is the main options with some data from IMDb.

We have added so many options for specific data from IMDb, but if there is something missing please let us know.
I understand. It's legacy reasons i guess. But why if i do some ant renamer (extra admin) will those same movies suddenly scrape, and it appears to be consistent depending on file naming convention\characters?
Isn't my issue somehow related to http://mediacompanion.codeplex.com/workitem/1560 ... ?

ingeon wrote:
Edit: If I rename "Swiss.Army.Man.2016.1080p.BluRay.H264.AAC.mp4" to "Swiss Army Man 2016 1080p BluRay H264 AAC.mp4" then it scraped from imdb with no problem...
Ps. thx for the detailed answer on my paranoia question in the other thread :-)
Coordinator
Feb 10 at 2:29 AM
@ingeon

New release out. I am pretty sure this will resolve the issues you are experiencing.

If not, please let me know, and give me steps to reproduce.