This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Refactoring NFO file interaction

Apr 7, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Hi, I'm looking to get seriously involved in this project. I'm an experienced VB developer (C#, HTML/CSS/JS, and a little Java as well) since VB3...

I know refactoring the back end is priority one at the movement (and totally agree it should be), I was wondering if there would be an issue with me moving the file interactions  (NFO for starters) into their class files and possibly merging the BasicNFO with the full sized ones?

It seems like a small issue, but I think it will clean up a lot of code in forms and give a central point for a lot of little errors to be trapped and eliminated.

Apr 17, 2011 at 3:22 AM

Playos, sorry for not getting back to you earlier....

I'm at least still trying to get my head around the best way for multiple developers to work on the same project. If you have any insight on this then that would be much appreciated....

We have the main fork at the moment plus we have another which expands on the Movie HTML output from MC.

What I would like to do is merge these back into one fork to avoid the issues of having too separate programs getting further & further apart.

Also Billy is the only Coordinator and as such is the only one that can set you as a developer which does make it difficult for you to post changes & updates until you are.

Have you requested to be a developer?

You are correct, re factoring is the main goal, as this will make it easier to locate code issues & also to implement new features, but at the same time, i would also like to see the code move forward with the odd new feature or at least an improvement of a feature. This is how interest in programming MC can be maintained....

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts

Cheers

Richard 

Apr 17, 2011 at 4:16 AM

No problem, I've never worked with HG before as a source control but from what I understand so far (still playing around with it, and from what I've seen some of the ground work I was looking at has already been started) but since the NFO read/write crosses a lot of objects but can be centralized and made modular I figured it was a good place to get my hands dirty and dig into the code.

Since I can't commit to the main branch, without a Fork I'm just coding in the wind until I get added as a dev... figured if I put some substantial code changes together it would let people see what I was talking about better than writing a long winded thing about what I was doing and why. I sent a message over to Billy today, and I'll keep working my fork until then.

I've got a feature I'd like to put forward as an idea, but it's a while off... a separate executable (probably a service) that would monitor TV folders and auto scrape new episodes as they come in and routinely update them (at certain intervals, like 6 months very spread out), this would require the scrapper, NFO read/write, and at least some of the preferences to completely modularized and moved out into DLLs.