This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Next item

Coordinator
Sep 27, 2012 at 2:57 PM
Edited Sep 27, 2012 at 2:58 PM

TBH I am satisfied with the way MC handles Home Movies now, at least until XBMC adds a dedicated Home Movie Tag.

For the time being I have used sets  (<set>Home Movie</set>)  to allow Home Movies to be added to XBMC as a seperate item via favorites or similar. Just a shame that XBMC does not have a way to stop this from being displayed in the main movie lists.

The next thing on my list is Music Videos.

The example nfo in XBMC wiki is

<musicvideo>
        <title>Bestsongintheworld</title>
        <artist>Bestartistintheworld</artist>
        <album>Me</album>
        <genre>Pop</genre>
        <runtime>3:20</runtime>
        <plot>Scantly clad women hoing about</plot>
        <year>2000</year>
        <director>and I</director>
        <studio>Ego prod.</studio>
    </musicvideo>

I could do with some advice on how best to go about this, for the best result I think it would be best if Music Videos/Albums/Artists were intergrated into a single structure.

This would allow MC to display all related information despite the format.

Just not sure how to proceed.

Oct 4, 2012 at 6:33 AM

Just thinking outside the square a little......since this component is kinda new to MC, could the data be stored in some sort of database whereby there are several keys (Artist/Year/Studio/Director?) to allow quicker display/search of music videos in MC by the order in which the end user wishes to view them. This should also allow quicker searches as well. Later if this works OK, we can move the Movies/TV's over to a database backend eliminating the current xml files (which I believe are inefficient for a large number of movies/tv shows) 

No, I don't know of a database backend that we could use, the idea just came to me after re-reading your post probably for the 10th time & not having any ideas!

I just think this could be an opportunity to go down the database backend in MC with a fairly simple structure without hurting the current working bits....

Thoughts?

Cheers

Richard

Coordinator
Oct 5, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Hi Richard

Several years ago I looked into using SQL as a backend with the ultimate goal of having MC share the XBMC database. This would be quite complicated to achieve, but has several advantages such as faster program loading and allowing both XBMC and MC to mirror each other eliminating the need for searching for newly added content.

The downside would be a performance hit on accessing a db, especially if its across a network vs data loaded into ram as a datalist.

I have not actually written any code in the last week, I have just been refelecting on how best to go about adding my objectives and you have definately given me food for thought. I think I will once again look at using SQL as a back end. This may take quite a while since my knowledge of SQL is nil, but it may be worth it in the long run.

Regards

Billy

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:19 AM
to be honest i haven't done any research into the best/quickest way to store/retrieve data but on the face of it storing it a proper database has got to be better than a text xml file for the amount of data we need to store.
One other thing I have been thinking about is either the common database with xbmc or a common database that multiple mc's can access on boot. The reason for me is i have a pc inwhich i do my stuff on whilst home, but I have a laptop as a server which is on all the time in which i access from work. It would be nice to run mc or even just mc_com remotely but working on a common database....

cheers

Sent from Samsung Mobile

billyad2000 <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Richard

Several years ago I looked into using SQL as a backend with the ultimate goal of having MC share the XBMC database. This would be quite complicated to achieve, but has several advantages such as faster program loading and allowing both XBMC and MC to mirror each other eliminating the need for searching for newly added content.

The downside would be a performance hit on accessing a db, especially if its across a network vs data loaded into ram as a datalist.

I have not actually written any code in the last week, I have just been refelecting on how best to go about adding my objectives and you have definately given me food for thought. I think I will once again look at using SQL as a back end. This may take quite a while since my knowledge of SQL is nil, but it may be worth it in the long run.

Regards

Billy