This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Linux

Dec 21, 2013 at 3:39 AM
Man it's been a while since I asked a question... so here it goes.. Has anyone used MC on linux? If so, how? Mono or wine? And yeah I just switched to linux completely :P
Coordinator
Dec 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Far as I know .net is not transportable to Linux.

I believe Media Companion can't run on anything but windows.

Could be wrong.

Rob
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:32 PM
:( What else is required to run MC?? other than .net framework?
Dec 24, 2013 at 12:42 PM
Nevermind.. Running MC on WIn7 inside a VirtualBox on Linux :D :D
Coordinator
Dec 24, 2013 at 5:18 PM
So a Linux user can run Win Xp, 7 or (shudder) 8, in Virtualbox, and then be able to run Media Companion?

XP Tiny or Win 7 Tiny would suit this with less HDD and Memory foot-print.

Interested if you get any issues with this.
Dec 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Edited Dec 24, 2013 at 7:28 PM
Yep.. and didn't know about Tiny version.. But this is working fine too.. I just freeze windows 7 with MC open.. It takes abt 5-10 sec to restore it back to that point.. and I can live with that short delay.. I just had to install .net 4 and MC is working as it should. I just scraped a few episodes and cpl of movies... nfos and thumbs magically appear on my linux.. lol. !! \m/
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59653648/images/Workspace%201_003.png
Dec 29, 2013 at 1:21 PM
vbat99, .NET on Linux is, as Akya says, called Mono. As .NET is (cough) an open specification (cough Microsoftlaugh cough) the Mono project is actually quite strong. Not tried running anything from a windows targeted build on there myself, mostly have to work with .NET applications created specifically for running in Linux environments.
Dec 29, 2013 at 5:24 PM
Yeah I think you can run small applications like mp3tag etc on wine (Horrible appearance) but when I tried MC through mono and wine, the errors described the operation as too complex.. :D