using media stubs, for offline files, .disc files (dvd and blu-ray)

Jan 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM
XBMC allows media stubs, ie .disc files. These allow you to add offline media, blu-rays dvds and such. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Media_stubs

I had a cursory look through the code and there is the Utilities.vb in the utilities folder, that contains a list of file types supported. Can i push this additional file type in ?

Would other users be interested in this ???
Coordinator
Jan 26, 2014 at 2:34 AM
This is very do-able.

XBMC uses the nfo created for the .disc file, but there is a little bit of work required, so MC doesn't rename the file, and also pulling the dvd or bluray out of the filename and adding it to the mediainfo.

Also another nice thing would be to create the .disc file with the xml info like
<discstub>
  <title>The Expendables</title>
  <message>DVD or Bluray discs available</message>
</discstub>
Great Idea, and I'll add this before the next release.
Jan 27, 2014 at 4:59 PM
excellent, is there anything you need me to do ?

Cheers
Coordinator
Jan 27, 2014 at 5:11 PM
Not just yet. I've added a new tab to MC, so user's can create the Media Stubs files to an offline folder, but I need to code this. Only have the UI up for now.

May be a couple of days before I can get it finished, but then I'll be ready to release the next Media Companion.

Below is new UI. Plan is to be able to create the .disc file with the xml info, then once save is selected. the file is saved to the offline folder. The offline folder is added to Movie Folder list, so Media Companion can scrape and create the nfo and download artwork.

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:59 PM
First off, it looks great, i just want to double check my assumptions.

so when i scan my offline folder:

/offline movies/gladiator(2013)/gladiatior(2013).disc
/offline movies/13(2011)/13(2011).disc
/offline movies/the fly(2000)/the fly(2000).disc

it will pick up these movies as if they were avi or mkv files ? and scrape media to be placed in their folders.

Adding in the disc type, alternative title and media is great, but not a deal breaker. I am more interested in the .disc movies being picked up.
Coordinator
Jan 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM
Whether you have gladiator (2013).disc or gladiator (2013).bluray.disc, MC will pick up that it is a .disc file, there a Media Stub.

Having .dvd.disc or .bluray.disc is only for noting what media format.

There are Five labels for what media:
     DVD, if the filename contains DVD.
    Bluray, if the filename contains BLURAY, BRRIP, BD25, or BD50.
    HDDVD, if the filename contains HDDVD.
    TV, if the filename contains HDTV, PDTV, or DSR.
    VHS, if the filename contains VHS. 
But you don't have to use any.

As for the Alt title and media message, there will be a default value for these, but then they don't need to be there at all. creating a blank file and naming it Die Hard.disc, is enough for XBMC to scrape it, or you can have the xml info with the file, so I'm giving the user all options.

I also plan to allow users to open the .disc file (if valid xml) and edit the settings, possible if the file is blank, asking if wish to add the two tags into the file.

Right now, just planning the coding of this tab.
Marked as answer by vbat99 on 10/16/2015 at 12:28 PM
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:45 PM
Shouldn't when making the stub file that a folder is made with the name we gave the movie? As you said renaming isn't done. Otherwise if I create my own folder I'm going to have a slew of them in the folders tab.

Example. I've got a four dvd box set with 10 World War II Commando movies. I have a folder called Offline Media Stub. If I create a stub for the movie Commando it throws all the data in this folder. If I do all ten I'd have all kinds of data in there. Shouldn't MC create a folder for each one then after I'm done I can move then out to my movies folder?

If I create a folder for each one then the folders tab is gonna get a lot of places to search.

Or do I have the work flow wrong?
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:50 PM
Well, while file-renaming is ignored, folder renaming/moving should still be in effect, so if you have folder renaming, or manual Renaming movie Folder, it should move the stub file into the folder.

I didn't want to add extra options like "save stub into separate folder", as the renaming folder does that, plus if you have collections, well, you get the idea.
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2014 at 4:54 PM
OK, I see it doesn't. Damn. OK, have to check what I've done but was sure I'd left folder renaming functioning.
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2014 at 5:02 PM
Re-enabled folder renaming for media stub files. If you want a test build, I can post a link. or it'll be ready for the next release.
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:25 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2014 at 7:42 PM
I've noticed if I have no movies in the main tab then I cannot create a stub movie. It gives me an error box saying no movies to work on which is why I'm trying to create one. WAD?

My new workflow is to have it create the stub then I put it into a folder, move folder to the scraping folder and scrape. Had to do a change movie, no biggie. Then when the movie folder is renamed will it create Commando (1968) [disc] or will this be a problem as my folder rename contains the resolution field?
Coordinator
Feb 2, 2014 at 7:50 PM
Edited Feb 2, 2014 at 7:54 PM
Right, see what you mean. Hadn't tried it with an empty library.

Fixed.
Feb 7, 2014 at 10:14 AM
I got to use the new build today, it look pretty darn good :D everything worked as expected.
thanks again !!!!!
cant wait for the folder renaming to come.

now to fight with plex.
i am playing with modifications in plex to pick up the stub files, it works, but it attempts to scan the media type, which throws a warning.
Coordinator
Feb 7, 2014 at 3:52 PM
Sorry, I can't help with plex, but I can put a test build in my dropbox with the folder renaming and other fixes in place.

Let me know.