This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Extremely slow refresh speeds

Apr 18, 2014 at 12:21 AM
Hi.

I'm running MC 3.5.9.6b Windows 7 64-bit. The media being companioned is on a NAS drive running NTFS.

It takes me over 15 minutes to search for new films, and over 35 minutes to refresh my TV show list after adding a single show. The results of the scans are fine, with TV shows scrapping much faster than XBMC was ever able to pull it off, but the initial seek for the existence of new media is extremely slow.

In contrast, after tagging the media with MC and then going into XBMC, it only takes 2 and 5 minutes respectively to scan the same sources from the same machine.

I have deleted MC, moved it a different folder, tried running it with admin permissions... all with no noticeable change in behavior.

Is the scan that MC is doing to see if there is any new media significantly different than the one that XBMC does? Presumably both go looking through all the folders in their respective source and scrap\flag for scrapping every file that they don't have an NFO for, which would suggest that they should have similar search times. Of course, I could be really under estimating what MC is doing during that time.

As a side bar: Is there any way to add a single movie or TV show without having to scan/refresh all of the folders again? That way, I would have to care about how long it takes to scan all of the folders.
Apr 18, 2014 at 1:45 AM
Hi SiliRat

Well, there are some significant differences between MC and XBMC, and biggest is how XBMC determines there are new files to add to it's library.

Media Companion searches for every possible video file type, current count is 32, in every possible folder/sub folder.
It also matters just how many TvShows, and Movies you have.

I'm really bouncing around explaining, but there is one or two options to make it quicker for MC to add Episodes or Movies. Adding a new Tv Show, it's going to take some time as it refreshes the whole Tv Cache.

For episodes, right click the Tv Show, and select "Search this show for New Episodes"

For Movies, quickest option is to drag the movie and drop it into the Movie list. This will scrape only that movie or Movies you have selected.

How long have you been using Media Companion for? I ask because it might be an idea to empty your cache folder and possibly, delete the tvcache.xml and moviecache.xml files, and let Media Companion rebuild them. (there was a fix somewhere in the last 10 versions that corrected a cache issue).

Delete the cache folder in your Media Companion folder, and the two xml files are in the settings folder of Media Companion folder.

Hope this is of help.
Apr 19, 2014 at 3:33 PM
vbat99 wrote:
Hi SiliRat
Hiya. Thanks for the reply.
Well, there are some significant differences between MC and XBMC, and biggest is how XBMC determines there are new files to add to it's library.
Media Companion searches for every possible video file type, current count is 32, in every possible folder/sub folder.
Yep. That would be significantly different than XBMC. :)
It also matters just how many TvShows, and Movies you have.
1000 movies, 375 TV shows (with another couple of hundred of each to convert from DVD to digital).
I'm really bouncing around explaining, but there is one or two options to make it quicker for MC to add Episodes or Movies. Adding a new Tv Show, it's going to take some time as it refreshes the whole Tv Cache.
It's the refresh that is taking all the time. Is there a reason that it has to refresh the whole cache for the addition of a new show?
For episodes, right click the Tv Show, and select "Search this show for New Episodes"
I use that feature regularly.
For Movies, quickest option is to drag the movie and drop it into the Movie list. This will scrape only that movie or Movies you have selected.
This sounds handy but it doesn't seem to work for me. Which bit of the UI is the movie list? I presumed it was the list of movies on the main tab, but whether I drag the folder or the movie file itself over that list, I get a circle/slash and can't drop the file.
How long have you been using Media Companion for? I ask because it might be an idea to empty your cache folder and possibly, delete the tvcache.xml and moviecache.xml files, and let Media Companion rebuild them. (there was a fix somewhere in the last 10 versions that corrected a cache issue).
Delete the cache folder in your Media Companion folder, and the two xml files are in the settings folder of Media Companion folder.
I haven't been using it that long. There have been no new releases since i started. I have completely deleted Media Companion and re-downloaded it twice already (vis-a-vis flushing the cache.)

Thanks for the suggestions and taking the time to answer.

SiliRat
Apr 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM
I have a large-ish collection also, but I don't have all the movies or TV Shows loaded into Media Companion.

For TV Shows, I have only the current shows being downloaded, ie: Weekly downloads.

As for Movies, once scraped by MC, I rarely have to re-edit them. Instead, I have a Temp folder that I place new movies into, and MC only points to that Temp folder.
I scrape the movie, actors, artwork, and once happy, move the movie(s) from the Temp to the Main Movie Folder.

Now, I don't know if that configuration suits you, but if it does, you can have the best of both worlds. Using Profiles.
Create a new Profile in Media Companion, say called 'Temp Scraping'. and switch over to this profile.
Now just change the movie folder to a Temp Folder, and for TV, remove any shows that complete/ended. And ta da, should be a lot quicker.

And you can switch between default and Temp Scraping profiles as required. Default profile having all shows and movies, would only need Refreshing occasionally.

So, to answer a couple of questions:
It's the refresh that is taking all the time. Is there a reason that it has to refresh the whole cache for the addition of a new show?
Hmmm, realistically, no. it shouldn't. But this area of code is working, so no-one's wanted to fiddle with it to improve it. We should be talking the existing cache data, slotting in the new show(reading only the new show's data) and be finished. Instead, we validate every show and episode. It may be something that needs to be looked at again. I'll add it to the To Do List.
This sounds handy but it doesn't seem to work for me. Which bit of the UI is the movie list? I presumed it was the list of movies on the main tab, but whether I drag the folder or the movie file itself over that list, I get a circle/slash and can't drop the file.
You should be able to drop either a single video file on top of the Movie List. Also Multiple files, or a Folder. So not sure what is happening here. Though there was a fix up in the drag-drop code very recently, but that had to do with non-video files in a dropped folder.

Anyway. Hope some of my suggestions are of help. And any questions, just keep asking.

Rob
Marked as answer by vbat99 on 10/16/2015 at 12:27 PM