Renaming Movies with multiple subtitles

Jun 8, 2014 at 6:54 AM
Hi,

after trying the movie renaming in MC I noticed that only 1 subtitle file is renamed when renaming a movie. Maybe my files are named wrong for MC to recognize them or is only 1 set of subtitles supported? My files are named: <movie file name>.idx/sub for the german subtitle, <movie file name>-forced.idx/sub for the forced german subs, <movie file name>-eng.idx/sub for the englisch ones and <movie file name>-eng-forced.idx/sub for the englisch forced. Is there a way to let MC recognize and rename them? Should I change my naming to match MC?

Thanks
Peter
Coordinator
Jun 8, 2014 at 7:27 AM
Subtitles have to be named the same as the Movie. Currently, Media Companion doesn't recognise -eng or -ger or -dut etc, as there are so many variations of the user setting the language.

MC does support more than one subtitle track, but is more of multiple subtitle extensions
ie: idx, sub, srt etc.
Jun 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM
Ah okay, I see. Then I'll rename all the existing files one time and will change the subtitles by hand. Yeah, I think there are a LOT of variations on the subtitles - I changed my naming some time ago, too. Maybe there is another way on the renaming: If there are files that are <movie file name>*.idx/sub/srt/whatever-subtitles-has-too just rename them, too? I think MC doesn't have to recognize the language exactly, basicly just copy the string after the old filename if the file extension matches and put it in the new filename. Just an idea, then MC wouldn't have to care if it's ger or eng or whatever :)
Jun 11, 2014 at 6:43 AM
It almost appears the standard to use should be ISO-639:1988
Jun 11, 2014 at 6:54 AM
Yes, but this would still leave some cases where ISO naming won't match: What about people with forced subtitles? Will they have to name the files forced-en oder en-forced? Some will have it this way, others the other way. Renaming with wildcard matching would be a way to let people have the file naming the way they want and still have the renaming possibility.
Coordinator
Jun 11, 2014 at 9:29 PM
a while ago I started something in this region, by adding a language translation file for ISO-639. But I ran into issue trying to allow for all languages, when XBMC allows eng or English, and then you have Spelling mistakes, special characters, and I stopped.

If a user has more than one subtitle file, I'd recommend MKV Merge, where you can set the language, Forced etc, and MC reads this info and stores in in the nfo file.

And I know, what if its a mp4, or an avi.... well, at least with mkvmerge, all your files are in one container. LOL.