This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Newest Releases Flagged by Norton AntiVirus

Aug 31, 2014 at 1:54 AM
The newest versions of Media Companion are getting deleted by Norton Antivirus when I try and scan a show for new episodes. 3.598 runs fine but both 3.599b and 3.600b have the problem. The threat Norton says Media Companion has is SONAR.Heuristic.120 (http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2014-011016-0119-99&vid=4294921081). Norton AntiVirus deleted the Media Companion because of this.
Developer
Aug 31, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Most likely a false positive, but as MC does use some 3rd party DLLs then it would be good do a little investigation for peace of mind.
  • Download the latest source code (Click Source Code, then Download)
  • Unzip it
  • Do a virus scan on the extracted files
Let us know which, if any, files are reported as infected.

If it's a 3rd party DLL, we will need to investigate further.

If none, then most likely a false positive created by chance by 7z which we use to create the release archive.
Aug 31, 2014 at 6:47 PM
I've scanned the source with Norton and nothing was reported. I don't believe it is the release archive or the installer as the problem only show up when I go to scan for new episodes in a show. Everything is fine till then. I will research this and see if I can find out what behavior is causing the detection. I agree that is it most likely a false positive but it would still be good to understand.

thanks,

john
Coordinator
Aug 31, 2014 at 8:28 PM
Gidday John

Thanks for scanning the source files. I would suggest extracting Media Companion to a New folder, and scanning that folder with Norton.
If Norton says it's clean, but your getting detection when the program is running, then it will be Norton's Heuristic scanner not liking how the program is operating.

You can report to Norton that this is a False Positive, and can exclude MC from Norton scanning. http://antivirus.about.com/od/securitytips/ht/excludefilesfromnorton.htm

Note, from your link - Technical Details.
SONAR.Heuristic.120 is a heuristic detection for processes based on certain attributes.

Files that are detected as SONAR.Heuristic may be malicious. We suggest that you submit any such files to Symantec Security Response. For instructions on how to do this using Scan and Deliver, read Submit Virus Samples.
For your reference, I have Avast Antivirus on one PC, and McAfee on another, and neither are twitching about Media Companion.
Marked as answer by vbat99 on 10/16/2015 at 12:24 PM