This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problems scraping ASCENSION

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:37 PM
Edited Jul 21, 2016 at 2:30 PM
Ascension is a mini series consisting of 6 episodes (as far as I know). This series is not completly documented at theTVDB.

Wehn scraping my series folders all 6 episodes are detected BUT only three of them are added iunto media companions tree view. MC claims that there is no info for episodes 4 to 6 which is correct. But I would expect the missing episodes to be visible in the tree view at least. Of course no information could be present, bute the episodes could be named Episode 4, ... and so. Currently I do not see a chance to enter them manually. And as MC does not hold those episodes in the tree vie they will not be exported to the nfo to and hence not imported into Kodi .... NFOs are only written for the first 3 episodes. I would expect an nfo with minimal information to be written for every episode detected independent of availability of the TVDB.

Maybe I'm missing something, so I add this into discussions for now. Please feel free to move to issues if you feel it to be one. Or give me feedback so that I can do it.

Logfile from Scan:
15.07.2016 14:25:35

---Using MC TVDB Scraper---
Starting Folder Scan

Scanned "1" Shows.
Scanned "8" folders (includes Show and subfolders).

"6" Episodes found.

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E01\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E01.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 01
Using Settings: TVdbID: 279553 SortOrder: default Language: de Actor Source: tvdb
Scraping body of episode: 1
Scrape body of episode: 1 - OK
Saving episode
Episode Thumb downloaded

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E02\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E02.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 02
Using Settings: TVdbID: 279553 SortOrder: default Language: de Actor Source: tvdb
Scraping body of episode: 2
Scrape body of episode: 2 - OK
Saving episode
Episode Thumb downloaded

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E03\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E03.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 03
Scraping body of episode: 3
Scrape body of episode: 3 - OK
Saving episode
Episode Thumb downloaded

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E04\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E04.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 04
WARNING: Could not locate this episode on TVDB, or TVDB may be unavailable

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E05\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E05.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 05

With File : \MUSICBOX\video\Serien\A-F\Ascension\Ascension S01 [720p]\Ascension S01E06\tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E06.mkv
Detected : Season : 01 Episode : 06

Operation Completed
Jul 15, 2016 at 8:39 PM
Normally I would say to pay it forward and add the missing episodes to TheTvDb site.
But this series was originally aired as only a 3-part mini-series, and TVDb operators are not allowing editing/addition of this series past Three episodes.
https://forums.thetvdb.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=24837&p=95807&hilit=ASCENSION#p95807

As such, there is only one work-around.
Copy the nfo from episode 1, and make three copies.
Edit each new copy to match the nfo to the three extra episodes, including filename and in the nfo, the episode number.
Once this is done, MC will detect them, and you can edit the plot.

There is no other option, as these are not legit episodes.
I understand why TVDb has done this, as some countries will split the episodes up if too long, but still its a pain.

This is outside of MC's control.

And no, we will not save a place-holder nfo if the episode is not found.
This really negates being able to validate you received scraped data, will falsely show as not a missing episodes. And, as I first mentioned in this reply, if an episode is missing from TVDb, it is best to Pay It Forward, sign up, and add the data so more users can benefit.
Jul 20, 2016 at 4:55 PM
Just for Info / as feedback

The workaorund using manually created nfo's works. The episodes are in the tree now.

I totally agree with you to add missing episodes to the TVDB. But I do not totally confirm your decision:
This really negates being able to validate you received scraped data, will falsely show as not a missing episodes.<<
although I respect it.
I do not see how a adding a dummy nfo will show as not a missing episodes? Or do you mean "missing in TheTVB database" and not missing episode in MC context?
And what validation of scraped data do you refer to?

Maybe I would understand your decision to not add dummy nfo's better if I understand the reason behind.

As this is not a very common situation, I have no problem to live with it although some indication in the tree or some explicit check for files not added to mc forwhatever reason would be fine.

McM
Jul 22, 2016 at 9:44 PM
I'd recommend renaming the files consistent with the Kodi Naming format for split episodes.

tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E01a.mkv
tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E01b.mkv

or

tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E01.1.mkv
tvs-ascension-dd51-dl-7p-nfhd-x264-S01E01.2.mkv

Note the 'a,b' at the end of the first set or the '.1,.2' at the end of the second set.

MC will correctly scrape both of those as being part of Episode 1 and Kodi will know which order to play them in.

Unfortunately if you do this you can't use the auto TV Episode Renaming feature of MC because it doesn't support split episodes. The first rename will get rid of the split identifier and the second rename will fail because the file already exists.

More Info in Section 2.3 of:
http://kodi.wiki/view/naming_video_files/TV_shows
Jul 24, 2016 at 8:35 AM
All this time running through the code, and I never knew MC supported .1 .2 or a or b split episodes.
I may look at the rename code and see if this can be handled for these type of episodes.
Jul 24, 2016 at 2:46 PM
I think it's more of a case of MC ignoring the .1 .2 a b then it is that it supports split episodes.

S2014E01.anything will match the regex, and as long as you're not renaming it just uses the season and episode information to download NFO. As far as MC is concerned it's just a duplicate episode.

Kodi seems to treat it as a duplicate too, on that link there's a comment that says "Each part will be added to the library just with its full episode number, the sub-part will not be displayed."

It would be nice to have renaming support it. I obviously don't run into this very often, but when I do I either turn of renaming temporarily, or manually rename the videos, nfos, and screenshots.